DIET is the most significant educational intervention in the country, while the NCERT came up in the 1960ís and the State Councils of Education Research and Training came up in 1970ís, the need for a third tier of training and resource support structure, right at the district level was genuinely felt in order to improve the quality of basic education. As result DIETís were set up in almost all the districts of all the states in the country.
Govt. of India gave top priority to elementary education. Different education commissions were constituted which submitted their reports and on the basis of their findings, Govt. made drastic change in the education policy. In the beginning education was a state subject but through an amendment in the constitution in 1976 the subject of education was put on the concurrent list. As a result State Govt. as well as Central Govt. now collectively frame a particular education policy & National Education Policy 1986, introduced a new pattern of education know as 10+2+3 system. Establishment of DIETís is based on the recommendations of National Education Policy 1986.
District Institute of Education and Training, Hatta was established in Oct.1988 by converting Junior Basic Training School which was set up on 01-01-1973. The sole purpose of DIET is to conduct different kinds of trainings programmes to improve the quality of basic education and create a desirable environment within the district in regard to enroll more and more children of school going age and pave the way for retention of those who are admitted in the school and to ensure the high literacy percentage of male and female as whole.
DIET Hatta has an academic faculty of highly qualified teachers who simultaneously work as Block Mentors too, especially to supervise the on going different schemes of Basic Education and guide the teachers to implement the scheme in an effective way through the seven departments as categorized below:
1. In-service programmer ,Field Interaction Department.
2. District Resource Unit.
3. Planning, Management and Innovation Coordination
4. Media and Educational Technology (ET) Department.
5. Work Experience Department.
6. Curriculum, Material Development and Evaluation
7. Methods and Evaluation Department.
8. Education for Equality Department.
9. Para-academic,Psychology Counseling and Guidance
10. Physical Education Department.
11. Art and Aesthetic Education Department.
As an apex body in the field of Basic Education at the district level DIET Hatta has been assigned to fulfill the following objectives;
1. To make sincere efforts in regards to enroll the children of age group 6-14 those who are identified through a special programme of SCHOOL CHALO ABHIYAN.
2. To increase minimum learning level and achievement level of the students as has been instructed by the education department under D.P.E.P. & S.S.A. programmes.
3. To prepare master trainers / resource persons to guide and train the teachers who are working in primary and upper primary schools.
4. To monitor the performance of different functionaries like B.R.C. / N.P.R.C. / District Coordinators / A.B.S.A. to obtain a desired result.
5. DIET through its mentors keep a watch on the quality of teaching and the on going training programmes which take place at DIET as well as BRC / NPRC level.
6. More emphasis to promote girlsí education through NPEGEL / Meena manch and other adequate schemes of woman sensitization like Woman Motivators Group.
7. Sincere efforts are being made ensure maximum utility of T.L.M. (Teacher Learning Material) with a view to have an effective teaching process in the school education.
8. A careful watch in regard to access / retention / minimizing dropouts is being kept at DIET level through its mentors.
About Diet District Chapter
Date of Establishment : Oct.1988
Name of Institution : District Institute of Education and Training
Location : Navodaya Ward, Damoh Road, Hatta
Name of Courses : Diploma in Education (D.Ed.)
Intake / Seat Capacity : 50 Seats (Regular)
200 Seats (Correspondence)
Name of affiliating / examining body : Board of Secondary Education
Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal
Pre-Service Teacher Education (PSTE) is the prime branch of DIET, which offers a 2 year Diploma in Teacher Education (Elementary level) for post higher secondary students of Madhya Pradesh with priority given to students of the district.
This is a Two Year Elementary Teacher Education Programme preparing teachers for imparting education in Primary Classes.
At the end of the two year Programme the student teachers will be able to:-
a) Attract and retain in the school all school-age children from the school vicinity.
b) Be familiar with the socio-economic status of families in the neighborhood.
c) Adopt innovative and interesting techniques of teaching children from Standards I to VIII.
d) Mobilize means and materials for academic facilitation of the children.
e) Develop appropriate basic personal and special skills in the pupils in each standard.
The Government of Madhya Pradesh has made the curriculum for two years D.Ed. course.
In the preparation of the curriculum, the suggestions offered by the National Council for Teacher Education in its ďCurriculum Framework for Quality Elementary Teacher EducationĒ have been appropriately incorporated.
The Curriculum aims at preparing professionally competent and committed teachers. The main features of this curriculum are
a. Practicum oriented courses,
b. School based internship,
c. School community relationship,
d. Comprehensive / continuous / competency based
e. Development of skills necessary for transactional
f. Development of innovative thinking,
g. Practices in classroom instruction,
h. School management,
i. Development of commitment in student-teachers towards the learners, the society, professional growth and basic human right.
The D.Ed. course is of two years duration and the total number of working days in a year is 220 days which include compulsory Internship for 40 days and examination.
The eligibility for admission to the course is a pass with at least 45% marks in the Higher Secondary or any equivalent examination conforming to the norms set by NCTE / State Government, if, any.
Admission is made on the basis of the marks obtained by the candidate in the qualifying examination.
The reservation of seats for SC/ST/OBC/Handicapped etc., will be followed as per rules.
The student-teachers will take Government examination both the years.
In the first year there will be examination in following papers viz.
1. Role of the teacher and education in Developing Indian
2. Child Psychology
3. School Organization & Planning
4. Child Centered Education & Educational Technology
5. Hindi Teaching Methods
6. Mathematics Teaching Methods
At the end of second year there will be examination in following paper viz.
1. Educational Psychology
2. Nutrition, Health & Physical Education
3. English (Second Language) and its teaching methods
4. Sanskrit (Third Language) and its teaching methods
5. Social Science and its teaching methods
6. Science and Environment Education and its teaching
Besides external examination there will be internal examination in all the subjects conducted by a visiting commission from other DIETís. After the assessment of the performance of the student teachers, a consolidated mark statement will be submitted to the Board of Examinations, which will be entered in the mark statement.
Internship for 40 periods in a year comprising 40 periods observation and 40 periods teaching practice is mandatory for completing the course; the I year students will take up internship in primary class and the II year students in upper primary classes; senior teachers in the schools will be the guide teachers.
Some Government Primary / Middle Schools have been identified for this purpose.
The DIET has adequate infrastructure as well as instructional facilities besides qualified and experienced teaching faculty. The infrastructure includes classrooms, laboratory, library, playground with games facilities.
All curricular / extra curricular activities keep the DIET faculty as well as the student Teachers busy; the sports day, the field trip, literary association activities, national environmental awareness campaign sponsored by Government of Madhya Pradesh, celebration of all national festivals including Teacherís Day are some of them.
Educational psychology is an application of the principles of psychology for effective learning and modification of behavior on desirable dimensions. Knowledge of educational psychology makes a teacher effective in motivating the pupils in their learning. In short it is an inseparable part of strategy in education.
List of Competencies
After undergoing the course, the student teacher
1. Explains psychology and its relationship with Education.
2. Classifies different branches of psychology and explains
3. Explains the importance of heredity and environment and
its influences in educational process.
4. Explains the growth and human beings and their behavior.
5. Explains the different aspects of the development of the
6. Describes the individual differences and adjustment and its implication in learning.
7. Explains the primary needs of the children.
8. Explains the secondary needs of the children.
9. Explains the concept of socialization.
10. Explains the theories of learning and the factors influencing
11. Explains the different types of learning.
12. Describes the effects of different methods used for learning
13. Understands the concept of motivation and the steps to be
taken to motivate the children.
14. Explains attention and its uses.
15. Develops skill of observation, listening, responding and
16. Describes memory, remembering and forgetting and identifies conditions of good memory.
17. Explains thinking process and its uses-perception, conception, apperception for different ages.
18. Explains the role of creativity and its development.
19. Explains the meaning of intelligence and understands the changing concept of intelligence.
20. Enhances personality development of pupils.
21. Describes the mental hygiene and mental health.
22. Understands exceptional children and their significance.
23. Practices guidance and counseling for school
Senses are the gateways to acquire knowledge Educational Technology gives training in learning through senses. It gives opportunity to learn joyfully. It can bring the whole world into the classroom. It helps the trainees to have a first hand experience on newly evolved teaching aids and equipments. Hence a good exposure in Educational Technology is the need of the day for the Students of the Diploma Course in Teacher Education.